So I’ll be turning 22 in less than 80 minutes from now. Here are the 21 things I wish I could have done better at, or should have done:
1. Spent more time with my youngest brother, Roy. Should’ve played all those games and sports with him when I was younger and back in Malaysia.
3. Called Dilly more often. Wrote her more letters.
4. Spent more time talking to my late grandmother when she was alive.
5. Continued my ballet lessons. And capoeira lessons.
6. Learned to swim better.
7. Ran more often in the Taman Tun park. I could have won many marathons by now.
8. Remembered to wear my retainers every night, not missing a single night.
9. Did my homework everyday in primary school. I was called “the laziest student” my Std 5 class teacher, Mrs. Wong, ever knew, and yet, I stayed in the express classes the whole time.
10. Rollerbladed more often. Cycled more often.
11. Gave those Cleo magazines to the orphanage near my house like I promised to, in person.
12. Stayed to tell those Interact Club members back in high school exactly what I thought of their activities, instead of walking away, leaving the meeting.
13. Introspected without self-judgment when I was in the psychiatric ward at UH, when I was 16, instead of thriving in the thrill from the attention I was getting from visitors.
14. Told the graduate student that he was shit when he told me “did you know that half the people here in this room, feels exactly the way you do?”
15. Spat at the psychiatrist who asked me “do you know what depression is?” after me telling him about the void I felt.
16. Continued group therapy back in UH. It’d prolly help distract me from my issues if I were to listen to the melodramas of everyone else. Then again, the only stories I remembered from my one and only session (I think) was some runaway case and some domestic abuse thing.
Nobody talked about the mind.
17. Be more sensitive and mindful of what my exes felt while we were still together. Some of them really tried to work things out. Oh well.
18. Bought a vibrator.
19. Kept the diary/journal habit. Wrote down the dreams I remembered first thing in the morning.
20. Wasn’t so stupid to encourage short-sightedness/far-sightedness by plastering my face to the telly when I was 7, because I believed in the aesthetic appeal of spectacles. In fact, I got mad when my parents refused to buy me the more expensive, nicer-looking ones.
21. Colored more often. I remember one of my first art lessons in primary school. It was an extra-curricular activity and was paid for.
One day the teacher wanted the class to draw the alligator she drew on the blackboard. Some alligator by the jungle river. Instead, I drew a farmer with a straw hat in a paddy field, mainly because I got bored and the alligator looked really complex to draw. She got so annoyed that she made me stay back after class, asking me to at least color the large print of Christmas stocking she gave me. Then she colored another sock while waiting for me to color mine.
I left the paper blank. She asked me why. I told her my sock was white. She said nothing afterwards.
So those were the 21 things I wished I did (better at).
As for the 22 things I want to do in less than 38 minutes, I think I’ll just go with the flow. I’ll start by visiting the girl down my floor. She’s been sick for a while now.